Friday, September 30, 2011

Venturing out


Yesterday after a slightly frantic work session (it rained a little and someone was feeling frisky) Starbuck was pretty worn out and some friends were heading to a nearby almond grove with their horses to let them graze a little.  So I decided that it might be a good opportunity to venture outside the stableyard for the first time, and guess what?  It was!

She behaved really well the whole time and didn't freak out at all, even though it was pretty dark and we passed some (albeit slow) moving cars.  She got a little ahead of me when I was leading her but every time she did I just made her circle me until her head was level with my shoulder... this technique makes for a lot of circles and some slooooow going but seems to work pretty well.  And the best part of all of this is that she was able to explore a little with the added bonus of socializing with other horses and munching on nice tasty grass.  Meaning that when we leave the stablegrounds befind in the future, hopefully she'll remember it as a positive experience.  And now that I feel a lot more confident about going on slightly longer walks with her, we can maybe even follow on foot some of the other riders when they go on trail rides!

Every day, something new...  I'm so enjoying watching this sweet little filly grow and learn!

No comments: