Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Training Vid Tuesday

You may have seen in our latest video that Starbuck moved off as soon as I got on her the other day.  Since I'm having trouble maintaining forward movement I don't want to correct her on it just yet, but in the next couple of days I'll have to correct her if I see that it becomes a habit.  So I checked out some videos on the subject and particularly liked this one, from FunctionalHorsemanship.com.  Basically the idea is that if your horse wants to move when you put your foot in the stirrup, you make her move but just a little more and a little faster than she wanted to (making the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard).  Likewise, if she moves off when you mount just back her up a few steps (yeah, in our case we'll have to learn to rein-back first!).  Anyhow, here's the video:

No comments: