After we finished building the roundpen yesterday I wanted to give it a try, so last night I read up on Sylvia Scott's and John Lyons' roundpenning techniques and led Starbuck in there. It took about 45 minutes in all, working at a trot in order to not tire her out too much, and I think for a first try it went really well! I got to the point where I could consistently get her to turn around and then when I stopped she would come up behind me and follow me for a while (until she got hungry and would start munching on the plants which are still growing inside the roundpen).
So for the coming week or two I plan to work in the roundpen a few more times until I can control her feet 100% using only my body language. Specifically what I'm looking for is:
- Control of speed and gait.
- Change direction facing towards me.
- Follow me in circles, straight lines and zig zags.
- Stop on cue and stand ground tied.
- Turn her head (and body if necessary) to look at me when I "kiss" to her and keep looking at me.
- Come to me on cue.