Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bad Mare Day

Yesterday we had our first bad day.  I know that it's the first of many and that it's no big deal, but since it was the first one ever it kind of startled me.  Until now, I've been able to see steady improvement every single day I play with Starbuck but yesterday when I took her out to longe it was like the very first time: rearing up and bucking and turning around to face me every time I tried to get her to go around in a circle.  Maybe it was the temperature change (we went from 85º on Sunday to 75º Monday) or the fact that the weather was cloudy, or that I hadn't taken her out of her paddock for a few days... I don't know what it was but she sure was crazy!

At any rate, it was fun to hear everyone gasping every time she did something wild and my friend Virginia (proud owner of Menorquín mare Coco) longed her for a while as well, finally she calmed down at least a little and was able to walk / trot in a circle once in each direction, which satisfied me enough for one day.  And I know that today she'll probably be fine and if not, she'll eventually get back to where she was before.  The only thing I need to keep in mind is that it's the journey that matters, not the end of the road.

No comments: