Sunday, August 7, 2011

...And we're off!!!

So since one of the reasons I want to start this blog is to keep a diary of our progresses and organize our short-term and long-term goals, I think a good place to start is to describe where we're starting from, including some facts about Starbuck and myself and our relative skillsets.

Me
  • Intermediate English riding techniques
  • Some very low-key jumping
  • Lots of trail riding experience
  • Basic Dressage training
Starbuck
  • Halter training.
  • Standing tied.
  • Leading.
  • Backing up.
  • Being touched on any part of her body.
  • Staying at a safe distance when I'm bringing her food.
  • She also loves to be showered and groomed.
What we're working on now:
  • Doing all of the above calmly in different places and with different distractions.
  • Lungeing in a controlled way at a walk and trot.
  • Giving her hooves so that they can be trimmed (she's currently unshod and I plan to keep her that way until I start riding her).
  • Not running into / over me or rearing when she spooks ;-)

No comments: